Congratulations, you’re soon getting your keys to your new Built To Order (BTO) flat.
Once you’ve secured your flat and it is built, you must now face the real challenge— making your home liveable.
Here are three tips that all Housing Development Board (HDB) BTO homeowners should know before starting your home renovation project.
1. Set a budget
Setting a budget for your HDB renovation helps you figure out how much you can afford to spend.
To begin, create a list of all the renovations you need to complete and how much they will cost. Your budget should include your expenses for the following:
- Clean up
Stick to this budget and spend within your means to be on track. For those who need that extra cash, renovation loans are also available. Speak to your respective banks on how to obtain one.
2. Be aware of HDB guidelines
It pays to be aware of the general renovation guidelines laid out by the HDB before starting your renovation works. Also, HDB BTO flats are further subjected to unique renovation restrictions, depending on their precincts, blocks, and street names.
Renovation work can only be done from the timings 9am to 6pm, on weekdays and Saturdays. All hacking, replacement of windows, plumbing, gas, and air-conditioning works require an HDB renovation permit.
Here are some other examples of HDB renovation guidelines:
- Walls: Bolded lines on your floor plan represent structural walls that cannot be hacked. Only non-load bearing walls can be hacked as they do not affect the integrity of the entire HDB building.
- Toilets: New BTO owners cannot remove their bathroom walls or floor finishes for three years. This prevents water from leaking to the neighbouring units. One way of getting around this rule is laying tiles over the HDB’s existing ones.
- Windows: Full height, ¾ height, and bay windows cannot be replaced.
- Ceilings: A minimum clearance height of 2.4m must be between the false ceiling and the finished floor level.
Homeowners with unauthorised renovations and installations can be fined up to $5,000.
3. Find the right interior designer
Interior designers are like the magicians of the home décor world. With their creative vision and expertise, they can take your dream home ideas and bring them to life. They give you advice and guide you on how to create functional and beautiful spaces that fit your needs perfectly.
To save money, time, and effort, consider HDB BTO renovation packages provided by one-stop interior design firms in Singapore. These packages cover the entire process, from conception to the actual construction of the flat.
Best Interior Design Firm in Singapore
Renovating your HDB BTO can be daunting, but it is also an exciting and rewarding experience. You get to buy new furniture, design the interior and exterior look of your home, and enjoy a brand new space that is unique to you. At 96 Interior, we make your interior design dreams a reality. Contact us at 9321 9696 today for a free consultation.